Simply Responding To Jesus
Crossroads Community Church is a community who loves Jesus.
As we simply respond to Jesus, He takes ordinary people like us and uses us in extraordinary ways. We know God is in control, and we believe He gives us everything we need, not only redeeming us from sin, but equipping us to live an incredible life beyond what we can imagine.
Jesus Is Real
If there’s one thing we know, it’s that Jesus is real.
And He really loves us.
He really lived, died on a cross for our sins, and rose from the grave, forgiving us. And He invites each of us to have an amazing relationship with Him, being loved and loving others in community. Our church family, Crossroads Community Church, is a collection of remarkable stories of real people whose lives have been transformed after meeting and simply responding to Jesus.
If we were honest, many of us picture Jesus wearing a halo, detached from the world around Him. But the truth is, He came to earth and wore the same skin we do…He moved into the neighborhood and lived like the rest of us. He faced the same things we do. He knew what it was like to be broke, hungry, lonely, sunburned…you name it, He experienced it. And He not only shared His love with the world, He showed us how to live with purpose and joy. That’s the Jesus we know, Jesus at street level.
Because Jesus is real, we are a family of faith, fully engaged, transforming our community and our world.
– We like to call this Dr. Mr. (doctor mister) for short.
- We trust in the Biblical God (Word and Worship)
- We are all in process (Grace and Formation)
- We celebrate God using us in extraordinary ways (Purpose and Generosity)
- We always give love, even when it hurts (Ethics and Sacrifice)
- We are passionate about seeing people take the next steps in ministry (Service and Multiplication)
- We use whatever means necessary to help people meet Jesus (Evangelism and Methodology)
- We are committed to making the world a better place (Compassion and Renewal)
- We are all in, all the time, especially for each other (Philosophy and Community)
WHAT WE BELIEVE
- We believe there is one true, holy God, eternally existing in three persons — Father, Son and Holy Spirit, each equally possessing all the attributes of deity and personality characteristics. These three are one God. (Genesis 1:1, Deuteronomy 6:4, Matthew 28:19, John 10:30, 2 Corinthians 13:14)
- We believe in God the Father, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1, Acts 17:28, Philippians 2:9-11)
- We believe in the divinity of Jesus, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His death as substitutionary atonement, His bodily resurrection, His ascension and His personal and visible return to earth. (John 10:33, Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:23, Luke 1:34-35, Hebrews 4:15; 7:26; John 2:11, 1 Corinthians 15:3, Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 2:9, John 11:25, 1 Corinthians 15:4, Mark 16:19, Acts 1:11, Revelation 19:11-16)
- We believe the Holy Spirit proceeded from the Father and the Son, as the source of empowerment and comfort for believers until He returns. The gifts of the Spirit are given as a sign of His presence, and we are open to all spiritual gifts, with no particular gifts having superiority. As each of us allows the Spirit to work in us and through us, and as we operate in the gifts He offers us, the Church will become all that God intends her to be. (Romans 8:13-14, Romans 12; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19-20; 1 Corinthians 12; 1 Corinthians 14; Ephesians 4:30; 5:18)
- We believe that the Bible (commonly called the Old and New Testaments) is the inerrant and authoritative standard for life, faith and practice. (2 Timothy 3:15-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21, John 16:12-13)
- We believe that the church, which is the body and the promised, pure bride of Christ, is a spiritually-unified organism made up of all born–again believers. The church was created to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ, and to live on mission and bless the world, meeting it at its places of pain for the glory of God and the betterment of humanity. (Eph 1:22, 23; 5:25; 1 Cor 12:12; 2 Cor 11:2)
Because Jesus is real, we are a family of faith, fully engaged, transforming our community and our world. Crossroads is a family of faith made up of thousands of stories of God’s redemption. We are people for whom Jesus has lived and died, saved by grace, in process and growing in faith together as we simply respond to Jesus.
With that in mind, our story begins over 40 years ago. God had His eye on Vancouver, Washington and in 1972, Crossroads’ Founding Pastor Bill Ritchie loaded up his family and moved to a sleepy little suburb of Portland, Oregon.
Not long after, in the fall of 1975, God led him to plant Crossroads Community Church together with a team of volunteers who wanted to see their community meet Jesus.
Pastor Bill recalls, “I remember the day the Lord spoke to me about planting a church. For my family and me it was a huge leap of faith…maybe that’s why we were so drawn to the name ‘Crossroads.’ But the call was undeniable: preach the hope of Jesus to Clark County and live out that Gospel as a church family. Looking back on our first 40 years, I’m overwhelmed by God’s grace and faithfulness, and I can only imagine what He has planned for the next season!”
In 2012, Pastor Bill, the Crossroads board and Leadership Team invited Pastor Daniel Fusco to come lead Crossroads through the next season of ministry that God had planned. The vision to preach the truth of Jesus to our community and our world, and to live out the Gospel is still alive and growing at Crossroads today.
John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world…“
God loves our community and our world with no limits. He sent His son Jesus to die on a cross and be raised from the grave to new life, so we can live a new kind of life. A life that has purpose and meaning. And He wants that for everyone! The more we understand His love, the more we can link hands and join with Jesus to extend His love and grace to a broken world. He is on mission to use ordinary people like us to do extraordinary things, and everyone is invited on the adventure. Jesus heals and renews us, grows and encourages us. We can be part of His plan to change lives, families, communities, and the world.
Part of Jesus’ mission is to see everyone come to know Him and flourish in local church communities, but one church in one location with a few meeting times can only do so much. To address the need to reach friends and neighbors across local, national and global communities, we are mobilizing our Crossroads family to be the body of Christ wherever we are. This might include gathering at the main Crossroads campus, meeting as a church body at a variety of locations and times, taking part in fellowship online, planting church campuses or maybe even plant, encourage and resource home churches. Essentially, this is how we eliminate the hurdles that stand in the way of knowing His people and being a healthy part of Christ’s Crossroads family.
We want our church body to grow and expand – to gather together in many locations, be full of people who love Jesus, who are in healthy small groups, growing in Him and who are being an active part of His mission to love and serve His community.
A key part of Jesus’ mission is to meet the world where it’s hurting. Jesus not only offers saving grace, He heals the brokenhearted. He frees addicts. He rebuilds marriages, and so much more.
God wants us to be the gathered body of Christ who goes beyond the four walls of a campus. Schools are struggling to succeed, many people live below the poverty level, and many struggle to feed their family or keep them healthy.
Because of that, we not only help people become part of a Jesus-centered church community, we have a ministry called LoveNOW that helps us live out Jesus’ calling to proclaim and demonstrate His love locally, nationally and globally.
Jesus set us free so we would grow in our relationship with Him, help develop and grow our family of faith, and together address the basic problems our county faces. Beyond our active part in Clark County, we reach out regionally as a connected family that spans counties, states and nations. In every community, God is putting unique needs on the hearts of His people. Nationally, we help our nation with disaster relief and make an impact on sexual slavery. Internationally, we bring clean water and other resources to communities in need. We share the love of Jesus with them through empowering and supporting international church communities.
When Jesus offers us life and love and we say “yes” to Him, He moves our heart from intent to action. We learn what He is all about and see His heart for people. Together, as a community and family of faith, we respond to Him. Every day we ask Him, “What are You up to today and how do I fit into Your plan?”
Do you want to be a part of what God is doing in our community, and our world, through our Crossroads family? Simply respond to Jesus as He asks you to know Him, partner with Him, and reach out to proclaim His story and demonstrate His love in the context of a healthy, Jesus-centered community.
If you haven’t already done so, we encourage you to join a Community Group at Crossroads, serve in an outreach opportunity through LoveNOW, and invite your friends and neighbors who don’t know Jesus to come find out more about who He is and what He is all about.
Jesus will meet us there, and where He takes it from there, we can only imagine!