Who is Jesus––really? Whether you love him or hate him, everyone has an answer for that question. A great teacher. A prophet. A healer. A wandering troublemaker. A divisive rabbi. All of these answers are true in one sense or another, but eventually we all have to take a side on the most controversial of Jesus’ names: Son of God. Is Jesus really God? Whatever your answer is, it’s time to take a second look at who or what reigns as Lord over your life…only when we allow Jesus to be God in our lives will we truly be free.
Talk About It!
1. Turn your concern into action
- Has something ever bothered you so much that it distracted you? When the Apostle Paul was doing his work for Jesus, things bothered him too. Mostly, he was worried that his friends who lived in Colossae wouldn’t follow Jesus. But Paul did more than worry! He let the things that bothered him move him to action. He wrote them a letter about who Jesus was, and that letter is the book of Colossians that we have in our Bibles.
- Are there any friends in your life that you are worried about? As followers of Jesus, we are a family. We need to be checking in with each other and praying for our friends, just like Paul did!
- What actions do you think Jesus wants you to take? If there is something that bothers us, we can always ask Jesus if it bothers him too. The Lord will show us what bothers him, if we let him, and he will tell us what we should do about it, if we read his Word and listen for his voice.
2. Learn from the verbs
- What do you think it means to have an active faith? If you have an active body, it means that you get lots of exercise and move a lot! An active faith means that we are moving and stretching and growing our spiritual muscles every day.
- Hey parents! Here’s a fun activity idea for your kids. Take two sponges. With one, soak up clean soapy water, and with the other, soak up a dark liquid (like juice or soda). Squeeze both out over the sink and see what comes out! Then ask the following questions:
- What came out of each sponge? Why? We soak up whatever is around us, just like a sponge. If we are constantly surrounding ourselves with friends who say mean things and shows and music that take our minds off of Jesus, that’s what will come out of us. If we focus on Jesus and read his Word and worship him, good things will flow out of us.
- What are you “taking in”? What are you soaking up? Where do you spend most of your time? If you’re not sure, think about how you use your words and actions. Do you act like Jesus? None of us are able to act like Jesus all the time, but the more time we spend with him, the more we become like him.
3. Jesus is fully God
- Who is Jesus? How did you learn who Jesus is? Paul’s friends were surrounded by people telling them lies about who Jesus was. So he wrote this letter to make sure they knew the truth––Jesus is God, who came to save us.
- Have you ever heard something about Jesus that just wasn’t true? Where did you hear it? If we have studied God’s Word, then we know what Jesus is like. The better we know Jesus, the easier it is to spot it when someone says something about Jesus that isn’t true.
- How can we know who Jesus really is? The answer for us today is the same as it was for the Colossians. We need to get to know Jesus by reading the Scriptures and listening to the Holy Spirit. If we do that, our lives will start to look more and more like Jesus every day.
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?