Think About It!
In our current cultural moment, we all kind of just define ourselves however we want, right? We build our identities on various principles, passions, goals. The bummer thing is, how we understand ourselves drives how we live and why we do what we do, so if what we’ve built our identities on crumbles…everything else does too. That’s why the only certain place to root our identities is in Jesus Christ. When Jesus is our life, we end up with a deeper joy than anything we could have enjoyed through any other source of identity.
Talk About It!
1. Jesus is our life
- What is the most important thing in your life? We all have people and things that are very important to us! These things aren’t bad. Our family, our friends, and our favorite things should be close to our hearts, but the most important part of our lives should be Jesus.
- What does it look like when Jesus is the most important part of someone’s life? This might sound funny. After all, shouldn’t our families or our favorite things be the most important? Actually, those things are a gift from God, and when he is the most important part of our lives, we’re able to love an enjoy the gifts he gave us even more!
- What is one small thing you can do this week to remind yourself to think about Jesus? One way that we can make Jesus the most important part of our lives, if by thinking about him all the time. With your family, come up with ways to remind yourselves to think about Jesus all week!
2. Put off the old man
- Have you ever taken off a jacket that got all dirty or wet socks? What did that feel like? We don’t like feeling gross. It feels good to take off things that are gross, and that’s the example that is used in these verses. Our old life is like a gross pair of old socks. The way that we act without Jesus, when we’re selfish or arrogant or mean to others––that’s gross! Jesus wants us to get rid of those things so we have room for all the good things he wants to give us.
- What are some parts of your character that feel kind of gross? It might be unkindness, selfishness, or just not acting like Jesus. What can you do this week to take those things out of your life? It would be great if we could get rid of all those things once and be done with them! It’s actually something we need to do every day. If you’re not sure how to get rid of these parts of your life, you can ask Jesus to help you! He wants you to live in a way that makes him smile, and he will help you along the way.
3. Be renewed in Jesus
- What is your favorite piece of clothing? Maybe you have a favorite shirt, or maybe it’s your favorite pajamas, fresh out of the dryer! What does it feel like to put your favorite things on? Jesus doesn’t just want us to get rid of the old, gross parts of our life. He wants to give us a brand new life! But we have to let him give us the fresh, clean life that he has waiting for us.
- God wants to give us a brand new life, one that we can put on like our favorite clothes! Sometimes, people don’t want the new life God wants to give them. Why do you think that is? Sometimes, we get comfortable with the way we act. Sometimes, we like acting mean and being gross. When we get rid of those things, we’re telling Jesus that we believe that his life is better than the way we used to live.
- How can you work with God this week to put on that brand new life he wants to give you? Just like we have to work hard to think about Jesus and get rid of our sin, we have to remember to put on the new life that Jesus gave us every day. Talk as a family about how you are going to remember and remind each other to live the life Jesus has for you!
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?