Think About It!
You always know when someone smells either really good or really bad, right? What’s funny (and cool) is, as Christians, we’re supposed to carry the “fragrance” of Christ into the world. The idea is, wherever we go, we “smell like” Jesus––we make people think of God when they observe how we live! To do that in the best way possible means we have to let Jesus lead our lives, both individually and as a church family. When we do that, we’ll give people a glimpse of Jesus, and we might just encounter a life more beautiful than we could have imagined along the way.
Talk About It!
1. Be the fragrance of Christ
- How do you pray? Prayer is our walkie-talkie with God. When we use it, we learn who God is and who he’s designed us to be. As we spend time with God, he shows us how to use our time on this earth, and our lives start to look more and more like him and his kingdom.
- What keeps us from praying? Lots of things get in the way of us talking to God. Sin and our own distractions probably get in the way more than anything else. What kinds of distractions keep you from praying? Do you ever feel like you can’t go to God because of sin? We can go to God no matter what and always tell him we are sorry for our sin. The longer we stay away from him, the worse our sin becomes.
- Did you know that there are different kinds of prayer? There are lots of different kinds of prayer! There are prayers that tell God that we’re thankful, prayers that say we’re sorry, prayers that talk about all the amazing things God has done, prayers that ask for God’s help, and prayers that ask God to help others.
2. Be a fully engaged family member
- How are you involved with the cool things God is doing on this earth? God is always doing amazing things through his people on earth. To be a fully engaged member of the family of God is to seek God for what he is doing, and get involved. The more we get to know God, the more we share his passions. We love the people he loves (which is everyone). When his heart breaks, our heart breaks. When we understand what God is doing, we want to be a part of it!
- What are new ways you could work with God? Talk about different opportunities each of you has in your life. Where is God working, and how can you be a part of it?
- Who are some people in your life that are involved with what God is doing? There are so many people who have been working with God for years, and when we watch their lives, we can learn from them!
3. Be the church with a Big C
- Why is it hard to work together with other people? Sometimes lots of good people have lots of different ideas on how to get something done. It can be hard to work together, because sometimes, we have to give up our ideas or our way of doing things. But when we are able to humble ourselves and work together, we get to see God work in a brand new way!
- Why is it important that we work together, as God’s people? When people work together, great things happen! If we’re all brothers and sisters in Jesus, then we should work together more than anybody. We have the love of God and the power of God. Together we can show the world how amazing God is!
- What helps a team to work together? Whether it’s a school project or a soccer team, people work together best when they have the same goal. As the church, our goal is to point people to Jesus and bring his kingdom to Earth!
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?