Think About It!
It’s not hard for any of us to imagine how unsafe life can feel sometimes: people hurt us, plans fall apart, we face problems we don’t know how to deal with. As we follow Jesus into unsafe territory, even if he doesn’t move the mountains for us, he climbs with us. And as his children, we know God will always hold us, comforting us in his arms, no matter what we go through. Because the God of the universe holds us, we can rest and experience real peace, no matter what’s going on around us.
Talk About It!
1. Remember forgiveness while waiting
- Did you know that you are part of more than one family? When we believe in Jesus, we become part of God’s family! Everyone else who believes in Jesus is our spiritual brother or sister. Part of growing up is learning how to interact with a family. Part of walking with Jesus is learning to be part of his family.
- How did we become part of God’s family? We weren’t born into God’s family. When we were born, we were separated from God and broken. But Jesus died for us and God forgave us, and that is how we know we can continue to come boldly before his throne in seasons of waiting. He has already given us his Son. We know that we are family now, and that he loves us deeply.
- Are you waiting on God for anything right now? Waiting looks different in everyone’s life, but it’s hard for all of us. We know we can have hope because our lives are defined by the most significant miracle the world has ever seen: the resurrection of Jesus. While we wait, it’s easy to give into doubts. But what we’re waiting on is “small potatoes” compared to the work God has already accomplished through Jesus. So if you’re waiting, you can wait in hope.
2. Trust like a child
- Are you good at trusting the Lord? What have you trusted him for? Jesus talked a lot about kids, and he said that they’re better at believing God than most adults. Kids don’t try to take on more than they can handle or understand. When we trust God like that, we simply come to God for help. Jesus tells us to be like kids, trust that he is good and he loves us.
- When you ask your parents for help, how do you do it? What do you say? When we have a good relationship with our parents, we’re not afraid to ask them for help. We just say it, because we know that our parents love us and want to help us. We can talk to God in the same, simple way. We can have the same confidence that if what we have asked God for is good, he as a good Father will help us.
- When you ask God for help, how do you do it? What do you say? We can take care of the knobs on our side of the wall, “quiet our souls” like a child who knows that their Heavenly Father loves them. As we grow in Christ, we should become more humble, more dependent and more at peace, even in the midst of turbulent times.
3. The Lord remembers, invites and gives rest
- If you could do something special for God, what would it be? David wanted to do something special for God. He wanted to build God a house –– the temple. But God said that he shouldn’t. Because that’s not what God was doing in his life. He had something bigger in mind. He wanted to build up David’s family to be the family that would eventually give birth to the Messiah –– Jesus.
- What special thing do you think God is trying to do for you? None of us will ever dream bigger dreams than God. None of us will ever do more than what God can do. But if you’re feeling forgotten, it’s helpful to know God remembers the plans he has designed for us.
- What are some of the best things that God planned in the past? How do those good plans make you feel about the future? Not only does the Lord remember us, but he invites us to rest in him because his plans for us aren’t just “so-so” –– they’re better than anything we could have picked out for ourselves!
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?