Think About It!
“Doesn’t God want me to be happy?” Virtually everyone has asked this question at some point. And the answer is…yes! But God’s plan for our fulfillment looks way different than anything we would expect. Join your Crossroads family for a journey through some of the most famous passages of Scripture––the Beatitudes and the fruit of the Spirit––for the key to unlocking God’s definition of true happiness, in our new series Crazy Happy!
Talk About It!
1. Yes, God wants you to be happy
- Do you think God wants us to be happy? Often, we doubt God wants us to be happy. So instead of asking him for happiness, we try and find it on our own. When we do this, we’re like hamsters on a wheel, running, but not going anywhere.
- Do you believe that God wants what is best for you? If we trust God’s character and his desire for our fulfillment, we will seek him for our satisfaction. Satisfaction is only found when God is in his rightful place in our hearts, on the throne. When we realize who God is and what he’s done, we can be satisfied in him.
2. Happiness is not found where we normally look for it
- Who in your family gives amazing presents? Did you know that God gives amazing presents? It’s true! That’s why looking for happiness in other places doesn’t work, because God is the giver of all good gifts!(James 1:17).
- Have you ever been excited for something, and been disappointed by it? When we look for happiness apart from God, this happens a lot. The prophet Jeremiah describes this as looking for water in broken, empty jars. Unless God is holding it, our happiness “leaks.” It doesn’t last!
3. Jesus defines happiness as being blessed
- Can you think of any Bible verses about happiness? Jesus talked about happiness in the Sermon on the Mount. It’s one of his most famous teachings, and it teaches us how to live the way that God created us to live!
- How is Jesus’s version of happiness different from the rest of the world? Jesus’ version of happiness is different because it’s not a happiness that ignores sadness or bad days. It’s so much deeper. It keeps you rooted in the joy of the Lord no matter what is going on around you.
4. The blessed person bears fruit
- How do we get to the kind of happiness God wants to give us? When we are looking for God’s kind of happiness and beauty, we begin to be who he made us to be. It’s when we are most fully ourselves and most like Jesus.
- How can you be the person God made you to be, right now, today? As we become that person––the person God made us to be––our lives blossom and other people are blessed. We become a blessing to others.
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?