Think About It!
As a church family, we’ve been calling 2020 a year of renewal…but this year has been a weird sort of “new,” hasn’t it? With all that’s going on in the world, it’s hard to imagine what renewal really means for any of us right now. But no matter what our experience may look like and feel like at the moment, God is in the business of making all things new…even if we don’t see it yet.
Talk About It!
1. Be with Jesus, and be renewed.
- Who do you miss the most right now? It’s hard when we can’t spend time with people we love. Sometimes we forget that God is a Father who loves to spend time with us! We are his kids. Have you ever gone so long without talking to God that you started to miss him?
- What do you usually do when you’re alone? When we are alone, and can’t spend time with our friends, it’s easy to be sad and miss people that we can’t be with. When we are with Jesus, we are never alone! He wants to spend time with us all the time.
- Who is your closest friend? How long have you known them? Our closest friends are usually people we’ve spent the most time with. The more time we spend with them, the better we get to know them. If we want to get to know God, we need to spend time with him.
- Take a big deep breath and let it out. How does that feel? Every time we breathe, all the air inside of us gets “renewed.” That means that all the old stale air goes away and new fresh air fills us up. Lots of things “renew” us in little ways, like a good sleep or a good meal. God wants to “renew” our hearts when we spend time with him, but he does so much more than a snack or a deep breath! He comes into our hearts and lets out all of the old stuff that’s in there. Then he fills it up with good things that last.
2. Be the Church, and work together.
- What is the church? Did you know that the church isn’t just a place? It’s a group of people. That can be confusing, since we call the place where we usually go on Sundays “church.”
- Who do you know that’s part of “the church”? Right now, we can’t go to the building, but we can still have church at home, because the church is the name for all of the people who love God, and that’s us!
- What are some ways that we can still love people and work together, even while they’re far away? Even though we miss our friends, we are still the church, and we can still work together. We can talk to each other (thanks to technology) and remind each other how good God is. One of the most important things we do is pray for each other, for all the people we miss, and for our world.
3. Be on mission, and transform everything.
- Have you ever been given a special mission by your parents or your teachers? God’s on a mission too! He wants to save people and make sure they know how much he loves them. That means that we get to be part of that special mission too! Our mission is to tell people how much God loves them and to tell them about Jesus!
- What do you think God wants you to do next on your special mission? Part of our special mission right now, is to pray for people who don’t know Jesus yet. There are lots of people who don’t have the church or people who love God around them right now. Our job is to go to God for them and pray for them.
- How do you think God can use this time in His special mission? Strange times like right now help us to see what really matters. Not only that, but they remind us to spend time with God so he can “renew” us. If we pay attention, he will show us what he wants us to do next on our mission to tell the world about him!
Hey Parents! Here are some Optional Follow-up Questions to keep your kids thinking about our lesson today:
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?