Think About It!
Every homeowner spends time making her house uniquely suit her own taste, and the church (God’s house!) is no different…except that God’s house is a community of people. So the unique decorations God wants in his house, then, are qualities that grow in our lives as spiritual fruit. How do we make sure our lives are a welcome home for the Lord? Find out in this message on John 15!
Talk About It!
1. It’s all about the fruit.
- How do you know if a plant is healthy? You know that a plant is healthy because its leaves are strong, and it produces the flowers and fruit that it should. Jesus compares us to plants, and says that if we’re healthy, our lives will bear good fruit. Our lives will look more like Jesus every day.
- What does good fruit look like? You know if someone is a disciple of Jesus if their lives bear good fruit. We know that we are letting Jesus do his good work in our lives when we live lives characterized by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
2. It’s all about abiding.
1 John 2:5-6
- How do trees get the food they need? A branch can’t bear fruit unless it’s connected to the rest of the tree, on down to the roots that bring nourishment. The depth of a roots determines how much nourishment can be supplied to a tree, and the deeper our walk with Christ goes, the more fruit we bear.
- Do you know what it means to “abide” in Jesus? To abide just means that we let Jesus into our everyday lives, that we live life with him. We are abiding with him, when we remember him throughout our day and invite him into what we’re doing.
3. It’s all about discipleship.
- What does it mean to follow Jesus today? To follow Jesus simply means to follow him in all things: to obey what he said, do what he would do, and do it with other people who love him! That’s what the earliest disciples did throughout the gospels, and it’s what you and I are called to do today, two-thousand years later.
- If you were going to ask for anything, what would it be? When we abide in Jesus, and we let his words change us, the Lord gives us a crazy promise: if we ask anything in his name, he will give it to us! That doesn’t mean he necessarily gives us whatever we want. But if we’re abiding in him, he transforms us, and our desires naturally conform to his will.
- What do you think Jesus wants to do in the world right now? When we pray for the things God wants, God does them because nothing is too hard for him. Part of prayer is knowing who God is. If we know him well, we will ask him to do what he already wants to do in the world around us. Prayer is one of the best ways for us to join Jesus on his mission to save the world.
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?