Think About It!
When times are hard, the worst thing is feeling alone. That’s why your support system is essential, and having people who can stand with you and for you helps. The beautiful thing for the follower of Jesus is we have the corner on the market for the best support system ever because God is our Great Defender. When we’re down, we can take encouragement in knowing God fights for us! Even if everything feels out of control to us, God is still in control and has better plans for us than we could dream up for ourselves.
Talk About it!
1. The Lord is our great Defender
- Have you ever felt scared, overwhelmed, or helpless? What made you feel that way? Sometimes, life is scary and overwhelming. If we feel helpless during these times, that’s okay. We can talk to our family about those feelings and, just like the person who wrote this Psalm, we can talk to God!
- Has God ever rescued you from something? What did that look like? The Bible calls God our “Defender.” That means that he is protecting us and that we can trust him. When God rescues us, we need to tell the story! Do you know anyone who has been walking with Jesus for a long time? Ask them to tell you the stories of how God has rescued them.
- Do you trust God to rescue in the future? What does it mean to trust God? Even though life is scary, we can trust our Defender. God is fighting for us. Trusting him means that we let him fight for us instead of fighting for ourselves. We should still keep ourselves safe and fight for what is right, but whenever we’re in trouble, we can cry out to Jesus to protect us.
2. Be immovable like a mountain
- Is there an area of your life where your faith feels shaky? When life gets scary, sometimes our belief in God gets a little wobbly. This Psalm is all about the rock-solid confidence that God gives us. The writer compares us to “Mount Zion,” which was the mountain of Jerusalem. What’s the closest mountain you can think of? God says that we are like that mountain, unshakable, when we fix our eyes on Jesus.
- God doesn’t change. Can you think about some of the things he has said that also don’t change? God calls us to stand firm and be immovable. That means that certain things he tells us to do are also immovable. For example, loving everyone (even our enemies), avoiding complaining, trusting God, being kind to others, being generous, making peace, forgiving others.
- What are some everyday things you could do to get your focus back on Jesus? When we get our eyes off Jesus, we start to be shaky again. We want to be unshakable! What areas of your life are shaky right now? Those are the areas where you need to focus on Jesus.
3. Find yourself on God’s good list
- If you’ve never said “yes” to Jesus, do you want to do that today? Apart from Jesus, none of us are good people. There’s nothing we can do that would make us good people. But God gives us his own goodness in Jesus, so we ultimately end up on the good list by putting our faith and trust in Jesus.
- If you already have a relationship with Jesus, what is the next step you need to take this week to walk out your salvation and live as a Jesus follower? After we trust in Jesus, we have to walk with him and become more like him. We have to start acting like he would act. If you’re feeling shaky in your relationship with God right now, trust him as your great Defender in all your choices and decisions.
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?