Think About It!
Let’s be honest –– sometimes, we just want what we want…even when it’s not good for us. Unfortunately for us, decisions (whether good or bad) are never one-and-done: consequences always follow. At times, those consequences can be really awful. What’s beautiful about the Lord is, when our hearts are open and humble before him, he wants to teach us the most profound lessons and bring beauty from our worst case scenarios.
Talk About It!
1. The flesh is never satisfied
1 Kings 21:1-16
- Have you ever made the wrong decision? What happened? Lots of people in this world tell us to “do what feels right” or “go with our gut.” But if we’re not obeying God, we can’t trust our instincts.
- Do you ever ask God about the decisions you make? If so, what does he tell you to do? The world will also tell us to want more and more. It wants us to believe that we can’t be “content.” (Being content is when you know you have enough!) Only God can make us content, because he is enough for us! When he helps us to make a decision, he also wants to help us see why we’re making it.
- What decisions are you trying to make right now? How can you let God help you make that decision? All we have to do is ask him! Jesus wants to teach us to make decisions the way that he does. He always thinks about others and is willing to share. If we make decisions like that, then we’re living the way that Jesus has called us to live!
2. Properly count the cost
1 Kings 21:17-24
- Have you ever kept a secret from your parents or your teachers, when you knew that you should tell the truth? Ahab and Jezebel kept a secret that hurt other people. They forgot that God could see them. He knows all of our thoughts and our secrets. We can’t hide anything from him.
- Have you ever hurt someone else’s feelings? Have you ever hurt God’s feelings? Sometimes, we forget that we can hurt God’s feelings too. That’s called sin. Sometimes, we get so worried about hurting other people’s feelings that we forget that we forget the importance of God’s feelings. It hurts him when we try to run away from him or when we hurt other people with our words and actions.
- Is there anyone you need to say sorry to? It might be God or another person. We all make mistakes. We hurt God’s feelings and other people’s. When we make a mistake, we need to say we’re sorry so God can help us walk away from those things. That’s called repentance!
3. God’s mercy is extraordinary
1 Kings 21:25-29
- Have you ever told God you’re sorry? How did it feel? God loves us so much, and he wants to help us walk away from the ways we hurt ourselves and other people. Repenting is saying that we’re sorry and walking away from those things. Whenever we repent, God is ready to forgive us!
- Did you know that God can forgive anyone? (That’s right, anyone!) God even forgave King Ahab! Even though King Ahab had done lots of evil things, God saw that he was truly sorry and wanted to make things right.
- Is there anything that you need to talk to God about? God knows everything. He knows all of our thoughts, all of our secrets, but he is a loving Father, and he still wants to talk. He wants to show us forgiveness and love and teach us how to live more like him. If there’s something on your mind, take the time to share it with the God who already knows and loves you.
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- What makes you say that?
- How does that make you feel?
- How would you explain this to someone who doesn’t know Jesus?
- Why do you think God did it that way?
- Why should we do the things that God tells us?