We want to be made well, of course. Believe it or not, we can grow so comfortable with our situation – when we have been living for so long being sick or hurting or broken – that it just feels “normal.” It’s time to break out of the haze and step into the light! In this season of restoration, God wants to help us get off the mat (literally!) and walk into life that we have been waiting for. Come and receive the hope and encouragement we all need.
- John 5:1-3
- When Jesus comes on the scene he establishes his purpose. He is the promised Messiah, here to bring the Kingdom of God to Earth.
- Jesus in the story of the lame man laying at the pool asked the man, “What are you waiting for?”
- We often lay on our mat waiting for something to happen instead of getting off the mat and inviting God to move.
- It takes an act of faith to get off our mat and take that first step, but God meets us when we get off our mat and get up and walk toward him.
- God can’t be put in a box, but too often we try to put him in a box.
- What are you waiting for?
2. Do you want to be made well?
- John 5:6
- We all have times of waiting and that’s OK.
- There are ways to not wait well.
- We can’t allow culture to influence us and our thinking. (Moving without vision and without God’s leading and vision.)
- We can play the comparison game by looking at others’ situations.
- We shouldn’t complain and feel bad.
- How we wait well:
- Presence, silence, and solitude are God’s ways of waiting. Just being a child of the most high and receiving from him.
- Reading God’s word every day. If we don’t know what God’s word says we don’t know what we stand for.
- Worshipping God
- How are you waiting? Are you waiting well?
3. Let go of the pain.
- John 5:7
- Sometimes we identify more with our hurt than our healing. We turn our hurt into our hustle. We focus on the hurt and lose sight of the healing.
- God wants to use people to transform people to build his kingdom, so we need to want to be made well and joyfully let God move in our life.
- Today could be the first day of the rest of your life
- What pain do you need to let go of?
4. Hold On To Your Joy.
- John 5:14-15
- Haters are gonna hate – Surround yourself with Godly community that builds you up, not tears you down.
- Sometimes we experience Unforgiveness, Emotional hurt, Let down by God
- We have to fight to hold onto our joy no matter what we are going through.
- Where is God wanting to move in your life?
Optional Follow-up Questions:
- What makes you say that?
- How do you feel about that?
- How would you explain your answer to a non-Christian friend or neighbor?
- Why did God design it to work that way? Why not just do (whatever else) instead?
- What would you say to someone who disagrees with that?
- Why do we really have to do it like that? Why can’t we just go (some other route) instead?